Thursday, November 8, 2012

Networking and Career Symposium

Last Friday the St. Mike's Alumni and Parent Relations Office along with Career Services hosted a Career Symposium for students.  The Career Symposium kicked off with a guest speaker who motivated us to be the best that we can be.  He focused on how our fears affect our choices and what makes us who we are.  This really helped me think about what I really want to do with my life and where I see myself in ten years.  I always hated that interview question, "Where do you see yourself in ten years?"  I never knew what to say.  I couldn't see myself next year, let alone in ten years!!  Now I may not know what I want I am beginning to figure out what I may want to do.

After the guest speaker finished up, Alumni filled in and introduced themselves to us.  We then proceeded to divide into different classrooms based on interests where Alumni were set up as panelist to answer questions and share experiences.  There were panelist for Technologists, Healthcare, Nonprofit, FinanceEntrepreneurship, Marketing, and the Government.  Each student had the opportunity to attend to panels.  I  enjoyed the technology and marketing panels I attended.  The alumni also helped me to realized where I could be in ten years and how to market myself to get there.

The last event of the evening was a networking session.  We had the opportunity to mingle with all the alumni present and ask questions and hand out resumes.  Each alumni was very helpful in answering questions about whatever I had and sharing some stories about their experiences.  I handed out a couple of resumes and got a couple ideas on where to apply for an internship next summer.  I feel more prepared this week then I did last week.

I thank both the St. Mike's Alumni and Parent Relations Office and the Career Services Office for putting on this amazing event.  It was helpful and I got a lot of advice which will help me in the long run, Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment