Saturday, April 2, 2011

VITA


One of my favorite groups on campus, where I find another home, is VITA.  VITA is our Campus Ministry group at St. Mike’s.  I have made most of my wonderful friends through VITA.  These people have been so supportive this year and I know I can count on them.

I participate in the church services by being a Lector, Eucharistic Minister, and Alter Server.  I also help out with some of the special events like, Stations of the Cross.  

Katie M, Me, Kate W., and Alex B - All looking our best for Stations of the Cross


Alex, Me, and Katie M goofing off before heading to the Chapel
Campus Ministry offers a couple of retreats each semester.  The two of I participated in this year were the Emmaus Retreat and LEAP Retreat.  I LOVED both retreats so much.  I highly recommend looking into these two opportunities when coming to SMC.  You meet many wonderful people and get to know your friends better.  You do a lot of reflection and group discussion which helps, especially as a freshman on campus.

LINK, which is a small faith sharing group on campus, had been one of my FAVORITE weekly events.  Starting off as a freshman, I thought I would never be asked to lead an event or feel so included that I could voice my opinion to the leaders.  LINK changed that feeling.  Last semester I went to just about every LINK and I participated in the activities they offered:  picnic, pumpkin carving, and the Snowflake-Semi.  Coming back this semester I realized many of the leaders went abroad and decided to offer assistance if they needed.  I didn’t think they would take me up on it so soon.  Before I knew it, I began helping Lauren, one of the leaders, out every Wednesday night with setting up and discussion topics.  I’m so glad I took the initiative and offered my service.

For those of you coming in next year, I suggest you try a lot of NEW things and when you find something you LOVE go for it.  Also, don’t be afraid to step up and say something.  Everyone is warm and welcoming and would love to hear your ideas.  You won’t regret it, I guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment