Saturday, October 22, 2011

Time Management

I would have to say my biggest problem this year would be time management.  Last year, I was good about getting all my work done and fitting in all my activities.  I think it helped, especially being away from home, to have a roommate.  Any time I saw her studying, I would feel obligated to study or be productive.  Now having a single in the suites, I don't always have that feeling - I have to make that feeling.

I believe one of the hardest things when coming to college is learning to budget your time.  Living in the dorms, you don't have a parent there making sure you do your work or help you figure out your schedule.  You pretty much decide what you are going to do and when you are going to do it.  Yes, class times and clubs are scheduled, but when you study and how long you study all depends on you.

It felt pretty easy to me last year so I thought it would fall into place quickly.  Unfortunately it did not.  I got my homework done on time and that was my main focus.  I wasn't hanging out with my friends as much because what I didn't take into account was the new routine I had to make with being in leadership roles and upper level classes.  This year I took on a leadership role with VITA and the LEAP retreat team.  I love being apart of these two programs but it is like adding other classes to my schedule, which means more homework.  I don't regret making these choices but it means another schedule to work out.

I finally had to sit down with my list of events.  I made a schedule for myself and now I have specific times for meetings and activities.  I even schedule times for hanging out with my friends.  My suggestion when starting college is to make a schedule for your classes and see where you have free time.  In those time slots think about when you would be most productive:  when you would study, when you would like to hang out with friends, or when a certain club meets.  I find sometimes staying up late one night a week (when I don't have class the next morning) and work until I catch up/get ahead.  All it takes is some time to get used to it.  Once you figure it out you will be able to really enjoy your time in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment