Saturday, July 14, 2012

College Essentials

Hey All!!! I survived my first week of camp.  No major injuries only a few bruises and bug bites.

I had so much fun this week teaching girls about computer science.  It was a blast to see their faces light up when they got their program to work.   They all had blast watching each others video they made using Alice.  I don't know if I would ever like to teach programming for a living but it was worth the experience to know I can do it.  Who knows, maybe by the end of the summer I'll have enjoyed it so much I would love to teach it.  So, gain as many experiences as possible in College so you know what you can do well and what you may need to work on.

Most incoming first-years are probably packing and trying to figure out what you may need.  Here are some essentials I think you may need or want when living in a dorm:
  • Command Hooks.  They definitely help when hanging up towels and coats.
  • Internet Cord.  Campus has WiFi but occasionally when everyone on your floor is connected to it, you may experience slow connection and/or be bumped off.  It just saves frustration when your trying to get work done that you know you will always be connected.
  • Nice Outfit.  It doesn't have to be semi-formal nice, but something job interview appropriate.   Any other formal event at school gives you enough warning to pick something nice out or get it mailed from home.
  • Pencil Sharpener, Stapler, and Hole Puncher.  There are some floating around campus (e.g. Library) but I never seem to be headed past them on my way to class.  It is a nice feeling when you know that papers won't get lost when you hand them in or your pencil isn't dull in your dorm room.
  • White Board.  Most are magnetic so it helps to place notes or papers on it to remember what has to be done.  Also, it helps when you have to write a reminder and then you don't have to erase it. 
Hope this helps when you pack.  Any questions let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment