Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Palm Sunday

My last post talked about what I love about Campus Ministry on Campus and this one highlights an opportunity I was given from them.

I'm someone who has never taken a dance class in my life until this school year.  I started out with Celtic Knights and had tons of fun.  When this semester rolled around I was asked if I would be interested in joining the Liturgical Dance group and I was a bit hesitant.  I've never taken a real dance lesson before and I was nervous I didn't have enough skill.  I was convinced into it and I'm glad I stuck with it.

This opportunity gave me the chance to make connections with people outside of the school community and with other members of the worshiping community.  Practices were only once a week for an hour and a half which gave me time to still get work done and have a social life.

Our one performance was this past Palm Sunday and the Chapel was more packed then I had ever seen it.  I was impressed how many people drive from all over the state and NY to come out for this one mass.  To start mass the choir and dancers process around the Chapel waving palms while the priest fallows behind to bless everyone's palms.  As the Gospel was read, the Liturgical Dancers prayed through movement for everyone to see.  I can definitely say, there wasn't a sound from the congregation.  I personally couldn't look at anyone for fear of breaking concentration, but I can say from friends whom I talked to, it was one of the most moving experiences they have witnessed.


This was our representation of the Last Supper

No comments:

Post a Comment